Hafsah [RA], the wife of the Prophet [SAWS], reported that the Prophet [SAWS] used to use his right hand for eating, drinking and getting dressed and his left hand for everything else.
Imam Nawawi [RA] explains that every honorable thing should be performed with the right hand, and every thing that is not honorable should be performed with the left hand. For example, eating should be done with the right hand, whereas cleaning ourselves after using the washroom should be done with the left hand.
Also, the inverse of something honorable should be done with the left hand or left side. For example, putting shoes, we should begin with the right shoe and taking them off, we should begin with the left shoe. And so on.
Some things we should do (or begin with) the right hand:
- putting on shoes (right shoe first, then left)
- clothes (right side first, then left side)
- glasses (open the right flap first, then the left…and close the left first and then the right)
- brushing teeth
- receiving something
- giving something
What are some other things that we can add to this list?
- Revive the Sunnah: use your right hand for all of the afore-mentioned, and more, in sha Allah.
- Help yourself with some ajr by:
- Forwarding this to anyone who you know will benefit.
“Whoever guides anyone to goodness, his reward shall be the same as those who follow his guidance without lessening a bit of their reward.” – Rasool Allah [SAWS]
- Contributing a sunnah by commenting below or emailing me at: email@example.com
“Whoever revives an aspect of my Sunnah that is forgotten after my death, he will have a reward equivalent to that of the people who follow him, without it detracting in the least from their reward.” – Rasool Allah [SAWS]