“Whoever wishes to be delivered from the fire (of Hell) and enter the garden (of Paradise) should die with faith in Allah and the Last Day and should treat the people as he wishes to be treated by them.“
[Muhammad – Messenger of Allah (SAWS) as recorded in Sahih Muslim]
So here’s the deal:
1. Make a list of people you deal with:
2. Write how you would want to be treated in each of those roles:
- I’d like to be respected and obeyed as a parent, and shown unconditional love by my kids
- I’d like to be held in honor amongst my friends, I’d like them to listen to me, to respect me, to complement me on my good, to ignore my shortcomings and to give me sincere advice
- I’d like to be heard, I’d like to be listened to and I’d like to be respected for my work
3. There is your to-do list on how to deal with people…because then this is how you’ll be treated in response!
Complete Iman in Allah + fulfilling His commands + treating others like you’d like to be treated = Paradise.